Monday, March 22, 2010

RasoirJ's Movie Notes: The Blue Angel

The Blue Angel (1930) director: Josef von Sternberg (Rating = 4 = I liked it a lot)

A wonderfully entertaining film that stands up better than anything else I’ve seen from the early talkie era. Germans with their hierarchical educational institutions, rigid social class distinctions, and capacity for angst can really nail a humiliation story. In the decline and fall of Professer Rath under the spell of the cabaret singer Lola Lola, director Josef von Sternberg has created on one level a brilliant farce, maybe the first screwball comedy on screen. We see Herr Professor first as the lord of all he surveys in his classroom and the keeper of social order – the supreme superego. When he enters the Blue Angel, he encounters a cluttered, confusing, yet deeply seductive backstage world where all that the classroom represses is loosed. I found myself chuckling again and again at how Von Sternberg crams the dressing rooms with silent clowns, props, cops, floozies, students, and assorted low-lifes in constant bustle.

Emil Jannings as the professor dazzled by Lola Lola puts on an acting workshop in his disintegration from august deity of the gymnasium to cuckolded clown who crows for a living onstage. And it’s a grand pleasure to be there at the birth of the Marlene Dietrich legend. As the good-hearted realist Lola Lola, Dietrich seems to spend most of her camera time changing her extraordinary skirts backstage, but there are also plenty of those iconic shots of Marlene onstage in lingerie and top hat stretching out those legs as she sings “Falling in Love Again.” Pure movie bliss.

14 comments:

  1. And would you believe it? When I went to this site, I was playing 'Ich bin von Kopf bis Fuss etc.' the German version (original) of 'Falling in Love Again'.
    Quite a lady, La Dietrich, wasn't she? Even in old age she was gorgeous (and nice and bitchy, too).
    I go along with your 4 for this film, would even go higher, 'cause it is one of my favourites. You said it, Rasoir: Pure movie bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys can watch all the Marlene Dietrich you want. I'll be watching Louise Brooks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll watch her with you, dear Kaze, but I have an OPEN mind and so does Rasoir. The world doesn't stop turning with Louise Brooks, you know. Besides, how to live without Zorba? And Kate Hepburn?
    (Deborah hobbles away, mumbling, Men? Fèh! They never outgrow their teenage crushes.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My teenage crush, dear Deborah, was Genevieve Bujold. My first crush as a child was Leslie Caron. In adulthood came Arletty. I have had serial crushes since then...I contain multitudes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deardear Kaze, I am overjoyed to see that you do have excellent taste when it comes to 'having a crush'. Much relieved, I must say, since I was worried you had a stick-on-forever crush on Louise Brooks.
    Moi? Gregory Peck, Paul Newman, Clint and Clint and Clint, Morgan Freeman, Monty Clift, Sean Connery ... multitudes, but my heart belongs to my best half (whose only crush in life, since he was 14, was me. Now, isn't that romantic?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is certifiably romantic. It's almost more than a crush after this long, don't you think? Speaking of romance, have you seen a movie called "An Education"? I'm watching it now and enjoying it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lasting crush that followed a great 'friendship' (uh ... that's what I thought for a while) between an older woman and a young boy/man. He grew up and I woke up. Certifiably romantic, indeed, and still just that after 17 married years. Ohboyohboyohboy....

    Yes, yes, we watched 'An Education' only last week! Loved it, story, acting, sets and all.
    (Living in the middle of nowhere with one cinema in the area (without an access for the handicapped)we have become DVD-ers).
    Have you seen Clint Eastwood's 'Gran Torino'?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought 'Gran Torino' was a perfect valedictory for the on-screen Clint Eastwood. Though I have to say that he walked a fine line in the ethnic-slur department. In the end he put a lovely capstone on the myth of the avenging angel. I pair this with "Unforgiven" to contrast the way it might have gone had he made a different choice at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. True. He really did walk a very, very fine line. Thinking back he reminds me of the bloke who walked across the Grand Canyon on a tightrope.
    Had Eastwood ended the film like he did 'Unforgiven' he would have wrecked the film, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I very much agree. But he kept you guessing till the end, didn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  11. He did, he really did and for a few seconds I was scared he was going to step over the line but thank G-d, he 'just' went for his Zippo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fascinating discussion here, which I'm joining very late. On the Louise B vs Marlene D controversy, a couple of thoughts: 1) I hate to choose. I want them both in my pantheon. 2) Louise B in Pandora's Box is a pure natural for the camera; she's at the height of her game in this early movie. 3) Marlene D in The Blue Angel is relatively unformed Dietrich. Over the movies she made in the 1930s in Hollywood, Von Sternberg lowered her voice, had her take off some pounds, and refined that aloof-seductress air. In other words Marlene peaks as an older woman.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Who says I chose? I love them both and you were talking about La Dietrich here ... or rather: about Marlene before she became La Dietrich.
    I didn't do no nuffink. Kaze dunnit, he did.

    ReplyDelete